Broccoli Soup With Cheddar Cheese
Some of you may have seen the video recipe we shared on Facebook in March. Please like and follow our Facebook page at North Carolina Cooperative Extension Montgomery County for future recipe demonstration videos, as well as a host of other news and programming updates from our organization.
This kid-friendly recipe for Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese was found in the Spring 2020 edition of Chop Chop magazine, which is available free from our office upon request (while supplies last).
Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Put the water in the potand put the pot on the stove, Cover it, turn the heat to high, and bring the water to a boil (you’ll know it’s boiling when you see bubbles breaking all over its surface).
- Add the frozen broccoli. (The water should dover the broccoli by about 1 inch. If it doesn’t, add a little more water.) Put the lid mostly on, but leave a little opening for steam to get out, and cook until the water returns to a boil, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon and put it in the blender. Put the top on tightly and blend until almost smooth.
- Carefully add 2 cups of the hot broccoli liquid. Add the cheese and salt and put the top on tightly. Remove the cap from the center of the lid and hold a towel over the hole to allow steam to escape while blending, then blend until silky smooth, adding more broccoli liquid if you like.
- Serve right away, and garnish each bowl with a lemon quarter for squeezing into the soup.
See the full recipe and corresponding activity at www.chopchopfamily.org